Wesley's Notes on John 6:35-41
35. I am the bread of life - Having and giving life: he that cometh -he that believeth - Equivalent expressions: shall never hunger, thirst - Shall be satisfied, happy, for ever.
36. I have told you - Namely, ver. 26.
37. All that the Father giveth me - All that feel themselves lost, and follow the drawings of the Father, he in a peculiar manner giveth to the Son: will come to me - By faith. And him that thus cometh to me, I will in nowise cast out - I will give him pardon, holiness, and heaven, if he endure to the end - to rejoice in his light.
39. Of all which he hath already given me - See chap. xvii, 6, 12. If they endure to the end. But Judas did not.
40. Here is the sum of the three foregoing verses. This is the will of him that sent me - This is the whole of what I have said: this is the eternal, unchangeable will of God. Every one who truly believeth, shall have everlasting life. Every one that seeth and believeth - The Jews saw, and yet believed not. And I will raise him up - As this is the will of him that sent me, I will perform it effectually.
44. Christ having checked their murmuring, continues what he was saying, ver. 40. No man comes to me, unless my Father draw him - No man can believe in Christ, unless God give him power: he draws us first, by good desires. Not by compulsion, not by laying the will under any necessity; but by the strong and sweet, yet still resistible, motions of his heavenly grace.
45. Every man that hath heard - The secret voice of God, he, and he only believeth. Isaiah liv, 13.
46. Not that any one - Must expect him to appear in a visible shape. He who is from or with God - In a more eminent manner than any creature.
50. Not die - Not spiritually; not eternally.
51. If any eat of this bread - That is, believe in me: he shall live for ever - In other words, he that believeth to the end shall be saved. My flesh which I will give you - This whole discourse concerning his flesh and blood refers directly to his passion, and but remotely, if at all, to the Lord's Supper.
52. Observe the degrees: the Jews are tried here; the disciples, ver. 60-66, the apostles, ver. 67.
53. Unless ye eat the flesh of the Son of man - Spiritually: unless ye draw continual virtue from him by faith. Eating his flesh is only another expression for believing.
55. Meat - drink indeed - With which the soul of a believer is as truly fed, as his body with meat and drink.
57. I live by the Father - Being one with him. He shall live by me -Being one with me. Amazing union!
58. This is - That is, I am the bread - Which is not like the manna your fathers ate, who died notwithstanding.
Bible Study - Home | Previous Page | Next Page
Bible Study | Church Fathers | Faith | History | Inspirational | Lectionary Sermons | General Sermons | eBooks | General | Library - Home
A service of St. Basil's Syriac Orthodox Church, Ohio
Copyright © 2009-2020 - ICBS Group. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer
Website designed, built, and hosted by International Cyber Business Services, Inc., Hudson, Ohio