The Messiah's Convincing Power
by Joe R. Price
Scripture: Matthew 15:29-39
1. During the life of Jesus the people in northern Palestine saw the great light of God’s Messiah, Matt 4:15-17; 15:29.
2. The "case for Christ" is repeatedly made: His compassionate power is convincing many that He has been sent from God (15:31).
I. THE MIRACLES OF JESUS ABOUND.
A. Miracles of Healing, 15:30-31.
1. Great multitude came to Him for healing, 15:30-31.
2. Miracles, Wonders and Signs, 15:30-31 (Acts 2:22).
a. Miracle: Confirmed the source/origin as the power of God, Acts 10:38.
b. Wonders: Their nature was to attract the attention of men, to cause astonishment, 15:31 (marveled); Acts 2:7, 12.
c. Signs: Showed the presence and approval of God (Jno 3:2).
3. They glorified God, 15:31.
B. A Miracle of Feeding, 15:32-38.
1. Christ’s conversation with His disciples, 15:32.
2. Messiah’s motive of compassion, 15:32.
a. He expressed desire to meet their pressing need, 15:32.
b. cf. The Bread of Life, Jno 6:35; Living bread, Jno 6:51-58.
3. The test of faith: "Where could we get enough bread"? 15:32-34
a. Amount of food (would there be enough?).
b. Possible sources of food:
1) Wilderness wouldn’t supply food, cf. Mk 8:4.
2) Any supply they people may have had was exhausted; they did not have food for themselves.
3) Apostles only had a meager amount of food, 15:34.
4. The miracle, 15:35-38.
a. Commanded people to sit down: would be served.
b. Gave thanks: The Father would be the Supplier.
c. Apostles gave the food to the multitude.
d. Jesus multiplied the 7 loaves and fish: All ate and were filled.
e. Abundance: 7 large baskets remained (4,000 plus women and children.
II. HOW WILL YOU REACT TO THE MIRACLES OF JESUS? Jno 20:29; 1 Pet 1:8-9
A. Accept it as Sufficient Proof that He is the Son of God? Jno 5:36
B. If So, You Must Come to Him for the Healing of Your Soul, Matt 11:28-30; 28:19-20.
1. Jesus heals our sinful addictions, 1 Cor 6:9-11.
2. Jesus heals our harmful attitudes, cf. Acts 9:1, 16.
3. Jesus heals the hurt of the sinful choices in our past, 1 Tim 1:12-16; Phil 3:13-14.
III. HOW WILL WE FEED THE MULTITUDE?
A. The Human Dilemma: "Where will We Get Enough Bread in the Wilderness to Fill Such a Great Multitude?" Matt 15:33
1. We need spiritual food, but where will we get it?
2. Elders must feed, Acts 20:28; Parents must feed, Eph 6:3-4; teachers must feed students, Heb 5:12; Christians must eat!
3. What will we feed people? And, what will we eat?
B. Food from the "Wilderness" Never Fills the Soul:
1. The social gospel. (Jno 18:36; Lk 17:20-21; Rom 14:17)
a. Social agendas (Church-supported Habitat for Humanity, Womencare Shelter, etc.).
b. Recreation: Youth ministers, camps, etc.
c. Entertainment: Drama, choruses, rock music, etc.
2. Tickling teachings, 2 Tim 4:3-4 (Jer 5:30-31).
a. "Gender-inclusive" (Leroy Garrett; Mercy ST church, Abilene).
b. Broadened fellowship with sin; Homosexual tolerance; etc.
3. Smooth sayings, Rom 16:18 (Isa 30:10)
a. God accepts everything/everybody/every way (Matt 7:21-23).
b. "No absolutes", no heaven, no hell, no sin… (Prov 12:15; Psa 119:89).
4. False formulas for salvation, Jas 2:24; Heb 5:9; Mk 16:15-16.
5. All these are false doctrines that leave the soul famished!
C. Food that Fills: The Words of Eternal Life, Jno 6:63, 68; 2 Cor 11:3-4; Jno 17:17; Rom 1:16; 2 Tim 4:2; Heb 5:12-14.
1. We must glorify God for His great power and provisions that save us in Christ (Matt 15:31).
2. Live by faith in Christ to supply our needs, Phil 4:19.
Copyright © 2000 Bible Answers
Sermons and Bible Commentaries for the 8th Sunday after Pentecost
Sermons Home | General Sermons and Essays | Articles | eBooks | Our Faith | Prayers | Library - Home | Baselios Church Home
A service of St. Basil's Syriac Orthodox Church, Ohio
Copyright © 2009-2020 - ICBS Group. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer
Website designed, built, and hosted by International Cyber Business Services, Inc., Hudson, Ohio