by Rev. Fr. V.V. Paulose, Toronto, Canada
"Jesus said, "Simon, son of John, do you love me? Peter answered, “Yes Lord, you know that I love you.” (John 21:16)
Unexpressed and undemonstrated love does more harm than no love!
Love is light. If this light is covered, then it cannot do its intended function. Love should be kept on the hill tops or on the love stand. The disintegration of families, doubts, suspicions and break down of relations are all rooted in suppressed and hidden love. Our stiff upper lips and conditioned conservative minds should have an emotional emergency surgery to hold back the tears and death of millions of beautiful lives on earth without seeing and experiencing a drop of love. Jesus’ love is always beaming and penetrating in all the darkest regions of human life. The Cross is the naked symbol of love of Christ that tells us, "I love you” and asks us, "Do you love me?"
A couple married in the 70’s decided to split. When the counselor asked why, the wife issued a catalogue of reasons:
1. "He never asks if I’m happy,” said the wife. "I assumed you were,” said the husband.
2. "He never says he loves me,” said the wife. "I thought you know I loved you,” said the husband.
3. "He never says I'm beautiful.” The husband replied, "I look at you every day and admire your beauty.”
4. "We rarely talk,” said the wife.” "I know you like to read a lot,” said the husband. "I read because we don’t talk,” said the wife. There was a pause.
5. "And we never go out,” she added. “I thought you liked to stay in,” said the husband. “I only stay in because I’m waiting to go out,” said the wife.
The counselor continued to take notes.
6. “He’s also very mean to me,” said the wife. “In what way?” asked the counselor. “Well, at breakfast, 3 times a week for 55 years, he has always served me the crust of the loaf, and I hate bread crust!” The husband was distraught and wailed, “I gave you the crust, because that is my favorite part of the loaf.”
Do you know that the word “Assume” can make an “ASS” out of “U” and “ME?” "But God shows his great love for us in this way: Christ died for us while we were sinners” (Romans 5:8).
Jesus, Let us express our love to everyone in words and deeds. Forgive the sins of our unexpressed love. We pray for all those who are longing for a word and action of sincere expressed love. Let our homes, worship centers, and work place be the blooming garden of love and happiness. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.
Yesterday | Today with Jesus Archives | Next
More Devotionals | Weekly Devotionals | Sermons | Essays | Articles | Bible Study | Malankara World - Home | Baselios Church Home
A service of St. Basil's Syriac Orthodox Church, Ohio
Copyright © 2009-2016 - ICBS Group. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer
Website designed, built, and hosted by International Cyber Business Services, Inc., Hudson, Ohio