Wesley's Notes on the Bible - Luke 1:39-56
39. A city of Judah - Probably Hebron, which was situated in the hill country of Judea, and belonged to the house of Aaron.
41. When Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary - The discourse with which she saluted her, giving an account of what the angel had said, the joy of her soul so affected her body, that the very child in her womb was moved in an uncommon manner, as if it leaped for joy.
45. Happy is she that believed - Probably she had in her mind the unbelief of Zacharias.
46. And Mary said - Under a prophetic impulse, several things, which perhaps she herself did not then fully understand.
47. My spirit hath rejoiced in God my saviour - She seems to turn her thoughts here to Christ himself, who was to be born of her, as the angel had told her, he should be the Son of the Highest, whose name should be Jesus, the saviour. And she rejoiced in hope of salvation through faith in him, which is a blessing common to all true believers, more than in being his mother after the flesh, which was an honour peculiar to her. And certainly she had the same reason to rejoice in God her saviour hat we have: because he had regarded the low estate of his handmaid, in like manner as he regarded our low estate; and vouchsafed to come and save her and us, when we were reduced to the lowest estate of sin and misery.
51. He hath wrought strength with his arm - That is, he hath shown the exceeding greatness of his power. She speaks prophetically of those things as already done, which God was about to do by the Messiah. He hath scattered the proud - Visible and invisible.
52. He hath put down the mighty - Both angels and men.
54. He hath helped his servant Israel - By sending the Messiah.
55. To his seed - His spiritual seed: all true believers.
56. Mary returned to her own house - And thence soon after to Bethlehem.
Bible Study - Home | Previous Page | Next Page
Bible Study | Church Fathers | Faith | History | Inspirational | Lectionary Sermons | General Sermons | eBooks | General | Library - Home
A service of St. Basil's Syriac Orthodox Church, Ohio
Copyright © 2009-2020 - ICBS Group. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer
Website designed, built, and hosted by International Cyber Business Services, Inc., Hudson, Ohio