by Sindhu George
Praying, using Godís word is a way of being sure to pray within His will. I used Psalm 112 in the New International Version for this prayer.
1 Praise the LORD.
Blessed are those who fear the LORD,
who find great delight in his commands.
2 Their children will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches are in their houses,
and their righteousness endures forever.
4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
5 Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
who conduct their affairs with justice.
6 Surely the righteous will never be shaken;
they will be remembered forever.
7 They will have no fear of bad news;
their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
8 Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear;
in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.
9 They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor,
their righteousness endures forever;
their horn will be lifted high in honor.
10 The wicked will see and be vexed,
they will gnash their teeth and waste away;
the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.
This psalm is an acrostic poem, the lines of which begin with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.
Psalm 112 extols the virtues of a morally upright man - a righteous man. The virtues of honesty, generosity, and honor characterize any godly person whether man or woman, but, today, I prefer to read it as is and use it as a prayer for my husband. Any woman anticipating marriage at some time would do well to pray this for the man who will someday become her husband.
The following is my understanding of the psalm:
* Verse 1 -ďPraise the LordĒ or Hallelujah - Give joyous praise to the Lord.
Blessed is the man who holds the Lord in high esteem, the man who respects and honors Him. Blessed is the man who finds great pleasure in GodĎs commands - all of Godís commands, not just the easy ones.
* Verse 2 - This manís children will grow to become respected and influential in
A godly man brings blessing to his family and to a whole generation - to all of those within his influence.
* Verse 3 - He will be blessed with spiritual, physical and material prosperity.
His good deeds are not an occasional thing; they are a normal part of his life.
* Verse 4 - This man will never be left in the dark. Because he is generous and compassionate, the light of the Lord will always shine through.
* Verse 5 - Life goes well for the man who is generous and who conducts his business honestly.
* Verse 6 - He is firmly established in his faith and will have no fear of evil. This man will be not be forgotten.
* Verse 7 - He doesnít fear bad news because he is steadfast in his trust of the Lord. As Isaiah said, God will keep in perfect peace, the one whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in the Lord. (Isaiah 26:3)
* Verse 8 - This manís heart is secure. He is confident and can face his adversaries triumphantly.
* Verse 9 - He gives generously to those in need and his good deeds are
He has dignity. He will be respected and honored. (Horn here symbolizes dignity.)
* Verse 10 - Wicked men will see this and be infuriated. They will become disheartened and slink away.
Heavenly Father, You are ever faithful and merciful. You are the only ruler of my life and you care for me. Thank you for the husband you have given me. I pray that You alone will take first place in his life and that he will always delight in Your word and follow your commands. I pray that my husband will continue to influence our children to be godly in all they do. I pray that he will always have such steadfast trust that he will continue to be generous and compassionate with everyone he meets. Bless him with your abundant blessings and I pray that he will always walk in the light of Your word. Keep his faith strong and give him Your perfect peace of mind. I pray that he will always be respected and honored for his godly ways.
Father, thank you for hearing me and for how you will answer my prayer.
Bible Study | Devotionals | Faith | History | Inspirational | Sermons | Spiritual Reading | eBooks | General | Library - Home
A service of St. Basil's Syriac Orthodox Church, Ohio
Copyright © 2009-2020 - ICBS Group. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer
Website designed, built, and hosted by International Cyber Business Services, Inc., Hudson, Ohio